Metro SubwayLink Remains Closed On Monday Following Friday's Electrical Fire: MTA Urges Commuters To Plan For Delays


A Baltimore County Fire Fighters stands in the smoke filled Owings Mills Metro Station on Friday morning. (Credit: Baltimore County Fire Department/ Twitter)

OWINGS MILLS - The Metro SubwayLink remained closed across the Baltimore Area on Monday due to the electrical fire that severely damaged the Owings Mills station last Friday.


The MTA shut down the subway service from Owings Mills Station to Johns Hopkins Station on Friday, just after 5 a.m. Baltimore County firefighters confirmed that the shutdown was due to an electrical fire around 7:30. By 9 a.m., the electrical fire had been extinguished, but the subway remained non-operational over the weekend for safety reasons.


According to officials, MTA is now engaged in an in-depth examination of the electrical fire's cause and is actively working towards reinstating service, ensuring that safety remains a top priority.

In the interim, a bus bridge has been established to serve commuters, covering all subway station stops. MTA advised passengers to prepare accordingly and to account for possible additional travel time.

For real-time service updates, riders are encouraged to refer to the transit app or visit

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified