Court Documents Reveal Circumstances Behind Owings Mills Kidnapping, Carjacking


BALTIMORE COUNTY - Court documents have revealed the circumstances surrounding the kidnapping and carjacking of a woman last week in Owings Mills.

According to court documents, an Owings Mills woman left her home around 8:00 p.m. on Monday in her 2018 Acura TLX. She was headed to pick up food from the Chick-fil-A on the 10100 block of Reisterstown Road.

When she returned home, she was approached by 35-year-old Deandre Jackson, who accosted her at gunpoint and ordered her to get back into her car. Charging documents state that she initially got into the driver's seat before being ordered to the passenger seat.

Once in the vehicle, Jackson demanded that she give him cash, but the woman said she didn't have any. Court documents state that Jackson then began riffling through her pockets to find a wallet.

Charging documents state, "The suspect located an M&T Bank card and demanded the victim withdraw $1,000 from that account. With the victim being held at gunpoint in the passenger seat, the suspect drove to the M&T Bank at 9840 Reisterstown Road, whereupon he attempted a $1,000 withdrawal."

The $1,000 withdrawal was unsuccessful, so Jackson lowered the amount to $500 and withdrew the cash, according to court documents.

Court documents state that Jackson's focus turned to the woman's venmo card, which she said could only be used at Royal Farms and 7-Eleven stores. Jackson demanded the card and pin before driving the woman to a BP gas station at 9604 Reisterstown Road, where she was able to call 911.

According to charging documents, after receiving the woman's 911 call, police were able to locate the vehicle using a feature called Acura Link, which provides geographic updates on a vehicle's location.

Detectives with the Regional Auto Taskforce (RATT) were dispatched to recover the vehicle and apprehend the suspects. Court documents state that:

"Several detectives assigned to the Regional Auto Theft Task Force (RATT) responded to the area of S Gay Street and located the vehicle parked, but it went mobile very shortly thereafter."

Officers caught up to the vehicle at the Royal Farms at 6201 Pulaski Highway on Tuesday, the charging documents state.

RATT detectives noticed two individuals in the car, later identified as Jackson and 31-year-old Rashard Chandler. When the detectives turned on their police lights to stop the vehicle, Chandler and Jackson fled the vehicle on foot, according to court documents.

Chandler ran out of the driver's seat and around the east side of the Royal Farms. One of the detectives followed him while the other stayed with the vehicle, court documents state.

According to court documents, at some point during the chase, the detective who had remained with the vehicle heard over police radio that Chandler was in possession of a firearm.

Court documents state that the detective staying with the vehicle saw Chandler running and watched as another detective's police vehicle collided with Chandler. The suspect allegedly fell to the ground, and the detective "observed and heard a metal object fall from Chandler's person."

According to police, Chandler was in possession of a loaded black 9-millimeter handgun.

Chandler was taken to an area hospital to evaluate the injuries sustained during the encounter.

While police pursued Chandler, Jackson "ran through fenced-in lots in that immediate area" before being apprehended near the intersection of Mapleton Avenue and Erdman Avenue, according to court documents.

Chandler told detectives that the gun was his, but he only carried it for personal protection, charging documents state. He claimed no knowledge of the Acura and declined to describe his relationship with Jackson.

He was released from the hospital last Thursday and was taken to the Baltimore Central Booking & Intake Center for processing. Chandler faces firearm and vehicular theft charges, according to court documents.

Jackson was taken to Baltimore County Police Headquarters, where he requested a lawyer and refused to cooperate with the investigation, according to charging documents. He was later taken to the Woodlawn Precinct office, where officers were able to identify him using his fingerprints. 

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified