Security Square Mall Project: County Plans 12 Public Meetings To Gather Input
WOODLAWN, MD — After announcing Baltimore County plans to buy the former Sears building at Security Square Mall, County Executive Johnny Olszewski Jr. released a schedule of 12 public meetings designed to involve the community in its future.
Public input from residents, business owners and community leaders "will be key to the success of a reimagined Security Square mall,” Olszewski said in a statement. “Revitalizing this community hub will be a boon to the local economy and a game changer for the health and wellbeing of the Woodlawn community.”
Baltimore County plans to acquire the 202,653 square-foot former Sears building for $10 million, subject to approval by the County Council on Sept. 6. The building would go to closing by Sept. 30, according to a statement from the county.
The mall opened in 1972 and now, 50 years later, leaders are looking to revitalize the site, where several big stores like JCPenney and Sears have closed. The 90-acre Security Square Mall site still includes dozens of retail stores like Macy’s as well as an AMC movie theater, the Woodlawn Health Center,North American Trade School drivers’ academy, and the Set the Captives Free Outreach, Worship and Education Center, officials said.
A public input process known as a charrette will enable people to learn about the project and inform county officials about what they would like to see going forward. They will be able to confer with designers working on the project. Options include development, redevelopment or repositioning the former Sears site, according to authorities.
Here are 12 public meetings announced as part of the charrette process:
- Project kickoff meeting (virtual): Tuesday, Sept. 13, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Setting the vision workshop: Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Design open house session: Thursday, Oct. 13, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Design open house session: Friday, Oct. 14, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Design open house session: Monday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Design open house session: Tuesday, Oct. 18, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Design open house session (virtual and in-person): Wednesday, Oct. 19, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Design open house session: Thursday, Oct. 20, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Design open house session: Friday, Oct. 21, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Reimagine Security Square workshop: Saturday, Oct. 22, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Design refinement meeting (virtual and in-person): Wednesday, Nov. 2, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Closing presentation (virtual and in-person): Wednesday, Nov. 9, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Unless noted as virtual, meetings will be held in person at the Set the Captives Free Outreach Center, 6901 Security Blvd., Windsor Mill, 21244. Virtual meeting links will be forthcoming.
Those with questions about the project can email email@example.com.