.

Three Sent to Shock Trauma with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

There was a carbon monoxide detector in the home but it wasn't working, officials said.

Googlemaps
Googlemaps

A mother and her two teen sons were transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center Wednesday afternoon after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in their Randallstown area home, police said. 

The patient's mother and brother also were transported to Shock Trauma with less severe symptoms of CO poisoning.

Fire and EMS personnel responded to the 8200 block of Rockdale Avenue at 2:32 p.m. for a call possibly involving CO exposure in a single-family home, according to a Baltimore County Police news release. Gas meters carried by fire personnel began sounding as soon as they entered the home and detected extremely high levels of the lethal gas.

Fire and EMS crews found the most seriously ill patient, who appears to be a young adult or older teen, unconscious, according to reports. The patient's mother said she and her sons had been at home all day. The most seriously ill son had been watching TV in the basement and came upstairs to say he felt ill when he fell unconscious. The mother said she and her second son (also an older teen or young adult) also suffered symptoms consistent with CO poisoning.

Firefighters' gas meters found CO levels in the home at 776 parts per million. At this level, CO can produce unconsciousness or death within a few hours.

Crews immediately evacuated the home, conducted a search and ventilated the building until CO readings returned to 0 ppm. A preliminary inspection by fire crews indicated that a faulty furnace may be the source of the CO buildup. BGE was dispatched.

The home was equipped with a CO alarm, but it was not working.

The headline of this article was corrected to reflect the family was affected by carbon monoxide, not carbon dioxide. We regret the error. 


Gerald Wilhite January 25, 2014 at 03:54 AM
Wait a minute! It was carbon monoxide --- NOT carbon dioxide --- that the family was exposed to. Ms. Brymes, as editor don't you have a professional obligation to correct your article's headline?
Kym Byrnes (Editor) January 26, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Gerald, yes I do. It has been corrected, I apologize for the gross error.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something