Police Were Worried About Homicide Victim’s Safety

Police developed a safety plan with Katie Hadel that included staying out of her Owings Mills apartment, where her alleged killer stabbed her to death Tuesday night.

Baltimore County Police were working with Katie Hadel to keep her safe from the man who is accused of killing her.

“We were deeply concerned for her safety,” said police spokeswoman Elise Armacost.

Hadel, 33, was found stabbed to death in her Owings Mills apartment Tuesday night. The man charged with first-degree murder in her death, Jeffrey Michael Shiflett, was being sought by police on multiple warrants, Armacost said.

“This suspect has been known to us for years. He’s been issuing threats for years to the victim, to police, to judges, to attorneys, using the phone, using social media,” Armacost said. “He got out of jail in December. In January, he began threatening our detectives and the victim.”

Police developed a safety plan with Hadel that included staying at her mother’s house in Reisterstown, where officers would drive by several times a day to make sure things were okay. Sometime after January 31, Hadel returned to her apartment without telling police, Armacost said.

“We’d been checking on the mother’s home not knowing that she was not there,” she said. “…The extent to which we can protect someone like her depends on the degree to which they cooperate.”

Police even offered to help Hadel move, an offer she declined, Armacost said.

Hadel’s mother told The Baltimore Sun she was three months pregnant at the time of her death.

Warrants were out for Shiflett’s arrest because he missed an appearance with his parole officer and was making threatening phone calls to Hadel, Armacost said.

Shiflett and Hadel committed a robbery together in 2007, according to court records. Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger told The Sun both were found guilty, and Hadel testified against Shiflett in the case.

Hadel had been charged but not convicted of marijuana possession and assault in recent years, according to court records. Prior to her death, she was a stay-at-home mother for her three-year-old daughter, Ava, and helped watched other children, including her husband’s 12-year-old, The Sun reported.

Read more on Patch:

  • Homicide Victim's Friends Mourn on Facebook
  • Police Charge Annapolis Man in Owings Mills Homicide
  • UPDATE: Police Arrest Owings Mills Homicide Suspect


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »