An 83-year-old man was sent to the hospital after breathing near-lethal doses of carbon monoxide.
Anne Arundel County Fire Department Division Chief Michael Cox said a crew was sent to the 40 block of Chautaugua Road in Arnold at 10 a.m. Thursday. When they arrived, they found a man who was having trouble breathing.
After investigation, Cox said they found carbon monoxide in the air at a rate of 100 parts per million.
The 83-year-old man was sent to Shock Trauma with serious but not life-threatening injuries. There were other residents of the house, but they were not home at the time, Cox said. They were notified and examined for health concerns, but found to be OK.
An investigation revealed that the carbon monoxide was coming from a generator. While the generator was outside, the exhaust was funneling toward a garage and then into the home, Cox said.
Cox said the incident served as a reminder to make sure that generators are not too close to the home.
This article was updated to correct the name of the chemical found in the air. Patch regrets the error.