It was the time of year again, where I had to stuff my face in the name of journalism. Sometimes work is tough, right?
The ninth annual Taste of the Town had more than a dozen local restaurants, two schools and one nursing home offering up samples of sandwiches, soups, tacos, cupcakes and more.
If you recall, last year I was a judge and had to sample more than 20 items. While it was an adventure for my taste buds, I'd never been more full in my life. This year, I paced myself a bit more, and while I still walked out stuffed, I was able to stop when I felt it was time.
A couple of elected officials were there sampling the food alongside me. Del. Jon Cardin enjoyed some catfish tacos from Mr. Charles Market, a mashed potato beef brisket martini from Santoni's and broccili salad from The Forbush School at Glyndon.
"This is such a great opportunity to showcase all the culinary delights of Owings Mills [and Reisterstown]," he said. "It's been a treat."
Councilwoman Vicki Almond sampled FutureCare Cherrywood's chocolate cornbread pudding, a few things from Noodles & Company, Santoni's mashed potato beef brisket martini and crepes from Sofi's Crepes.
"I love this event," she said. "It's one of my favorites."
All attendees were given three tickets to place in bags of their three favorite restaurant's. And the winners are:
- First Place: FutureCare Cherrywood
- Second Place: Santoni's
- Third Place: Mr. Charles Market and The Grill at Harryman House (tie)
Here's a list of what was on the menu:
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Two Flavors of Boneless Wings
- Mr. Charles Market Catering: Catfish Tacos
- Sofi’s Crepes: Sweet Crepes (Nutella, Cinnamon Sugar)
- El Paraiso: Tres leches and more
- Santoni’s Marketplace & Catering Company: Potato Martini Bar
- The Big Bean Theory: Soup and Vegetarian meatballs, herbal tea
- Qdoba Mexican Grill: Chips & Queso samples
- Icedgems Baking: Mini cupcakes and cake truffles
- Noodles & Company: Noodle dishes
- The Grill at Harryman House: Duck Confit
- Illiano’s J & P Restaurant/Glyndon: Chicken Cacciatore
- The Gourmet Girls: Crème of Caramelized French Onion Soup with Parmesan Flatbreads
- The Forbush School at Glyndon: Homemade Signature Chicken Salad on Baguette with Broccoli Salad
- Hannah More School: Seafood Gumbo
- FutureCare Cherrywood: Cherrywood Fiesta Herb-crusted chicken; Chocolate Bread Pudding